History

The Waverly Historic District is significant as Columbia’s first suburb. Established shortly after the Civil War on plantation land once owned by Robert Latta, the historic core of the Waverly neighborhood was originally an early subdivision of an antebellum plantation by the same name located on the outskirts of Columbia. By the late 1800's, the neighborhood was home to both black and white working and middle class residents. Growth, stimulated by railroad and streetcar lines, led to the district's incorporation in the city limits by 1913. 
 
By the early twentieth century, it had evolved into a community of African American artisans, professionals and social reformers, many of whom made significant contributions to the social and political advancement of African Americans in Columbia and South Carolina. Originally a predominantly white neighborhood, Waverly’s development illustrates important patterns in the shift from biracial coexistence in the late nineteenth century to the practice of strict racial segregation common to early twentieth century urban centers.
 
Waverly’s public institutions and other historic resources are also significant for their associations with individuals who played an active role in the Civil Rights Movement. The Waverly Historic District has a high concentration of vernacular residential, academic, and religious buildings reflecting a range of architectural characteristics of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Representative styles and forms include Queen Anne, Four-Square, Craftsman, Bungalow, Shotgun, Colonial Revival, and Neo-Classical. The majority of the 192 properties in the neighborhood, 137 of which are contributing, were built between ca. 1898 and ca. 1925. Listed in the National Register December 21, 1989.
 
Today, this historic neighborhood lies east of Harden Street, south of Read Street, west of Millwood Avenue and Two Notch Road and north of Gervais Street, which borders the Lower Waverly Community.
1311 Pine Street ca. 1907
2309 Lady  Street ca. 1890
References
Historic Columbia Foundation: Retrace Waverly Self-Guided Walking Tour published by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History. 
 
Website images were provided in part by National Register of Historic Places Program, SC Department of Archives and History. Images may be found at:   http://www.nationalregister.sc.gov/richland/S10817740098/index.htm Special thanks to Dr. Ehren Foley for access to all images of historic houses from the Historic Waverly Neighborhood.